Thursday, March 6, 2014

Carol of the Bell's Palsy

I have two of the sweetest grandmas in the world. Maybe that's a characteristic that automatically comes to all grandmothers, but mine take the cake.

When I was in kindergarten, my mom's mom was sick. We went to visit her. My mom was trying to tell me that Grandma doesn't look like she normally does, but don't be scared. She's still Grandma and she still loves me. I wasn't really paying attention. I got a new coloring book for the 45 minute ride.

My Grandma had Bell's Palsy. For those who do not know what this is, please refer to the diagram below.



Half of Grandma's face was broken. For a five-year-old to see his loving Grandma only half-smile at him, things start happening in his head. But Brave Little Benji wasn't scared of Grandma C. Nope! 

I gave her my biggest hug and whispered in her ear, "My teacher says if you cross your eyes and stick your tongue out, your face will stick like that. Didn't anyone tell you?"

No comments:

Post a Comment